Monday, August 04, 2008

Westwater Canyon



Well, it's high time that I post a write up of the river trip. I was invited to join a number of guys in my neighborhood for a quick day trip down Westwater Canyon. I hadn't been here since I was a teenager, chasing Katie McComber and listening to Pink Floyd in my dad's truck with Mike Bascom. That's a long, long time ago. Anyhow, we left Thursday night and it took about 4 hours to get there. Some slept out with the bugs under the stars. Me? In a tent. After eating yogurt, bagels, bananas, and cereal, we were off. The first 7 miles or so is pretty calm so there was time to get in the water and float. Water wasn't too bad. We paddled in 5 man rafts. There is no way you could take something like down that part of the river. We had about 2 hours of good rapids. I got thrown a couple of times from the raft, one of which stole my hat, bandana, and sunglasses. Darn! It was pretty dang fun. We stopped at a couple of places to cliff jump. Nothing too serious. We had yummy sandwiches for lunch and were off the water by mid afternoon. While we were waiting for the cars to come back and get us, we played this fun game called - Run-down-the-boat-ramp-slide-across-the-underside-of-the-raft-and-get-thrown-through-the-air. It was a riot. If I get other pics I'll add them to this slideshow. Thanks, Ryan! Please let us come next year.

No comments: