Sunday, May 21, 2006

Like a bowling ball???

Today on KSL.com there was an article about the Visitor Center at Dinosaur Monument and how it was deteriorating due to the type of soil beneath the building. I did find this sentance quite interesting:

" In the West, bentonite clay soils are notable for causing pioneer cabins to collapse over time and buckling hard-surface roads. The clay expands considerably when wet and turns so pasty it can cling to shoes like a bowling ball."

Now, I'm a Civil Engineer and I don't remember being taught that. Maybe someone can help me with that.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

I got stuck in the middle of a rice paddy on my mission once and the mud was so thick that it stuck to my foot and it felt like I was walking with 'bowling balls' stuck to my feet.
That would be my guess.

Sean Ryan said...

This is exactly why I stay out of bowling ally's. Sticky bowling balls. I remember the last time I went bowling I dislocated my whole arm when a tried to bowl a ball and the dang thing stuck to my hand. Pulled me right down the ally. I knocked myself out cold when my head smashed into the number one pin. I remember another time when I reached down to pull my ball off that thingy that returns my ball and I was moving a couple balls around to get mine. Before I knew it I had 4 bowling balls stuck to me. They had to call 911. They are like super glue I tell you. It's all true. I swear.

Kevin said...

Too many balls!!!!

Sean Ryan said...

How many times can I say balls before I crack a grin? Once