Sunday, March 26, 2006

Golden Arches

No, I'm not talking about McFat. Last weekend, we took the scouts (11 year olds - 13 year olds) down to Moab for a couple of days. We camped at a group site at Dead Horse Point. It had a pavilion, running water and flush toilets. Nice. We did a couple of nice hikes, both in Arches National Park. The first one, took us to Landscape Arch (one of the longest arches in the world), to Wall Arch, Partition Arch, Navajo Arch, and then to Double O Arch. It's about 4 miles round trip and there was lots of climbing. I love Arches and so do my boys. It was a good experience for many of the scouts. Later that night during the campfire, the Scoutmaster talked about "A Scout is Brave". I had to give the spiritual thought and I spent a few minutes talking about patience. Our troop has really changed over the past couple of years. When JJ first started there were 3 other scouts. We had 21 scouts on this campout. It was great. Each troop was in charge of their own meals and the leaders (yes there were 7 of us) did our own thing.

The next day we did the Delicate Arch hike. This is about a 3 mile hike and it was beautiful. I'll post pictures. We are so lucky to have this in our own backyard. It is always fun to meet people not only from other states but also from all over the world. I talked to people from Germany, England, New Zealand, and Australia.

We are going back down in a few weeks as a family. For several years we went down for Spring Break but building our house and getting our yard in and all of that crap has kept us from enjoying one of our favorite places. I look forward to returning and I'll post the highlights of our adventures then.

No comments: