Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Presenting Prague

I was pretty excited to meet Marcella in one of my favorite cities in the world. There is so much to see and so much to do. Lots of museums, churches, shopping, and restaurants. The city is known as the “City of 1000 Spires”. Somehow Prague survived both World Wars so the city is full of architecture dating back several hundred years. We had a couple of days before and after our week in Karlovy Vary. I took Marcella to all of the popular spots: Charles Bridge, Old Town Square, and of course the Castle (the largest castle in Europe). I was so surprised at the mobs of people in and around the city. It was just crazy. I did run every morning around town. I love doing that. The streets are more or less empty except for the old ladies walking their dogs. A couple of times I got lost but that was part of the fun and the experience of the morning run. Funny thing, I never saw anyone else out running ever. That seemed a bit strange.

One morning we took a short river trip along the Vlata river. This runs right through the middle of town. Shortly after my last visit a couple of years ago, there was a major flood that came through. The river flooded most of the downtown area and overtopped most of the bridges. As we were going along the river it was hard to imagine that much water. The bridges were a good 25-30 feet above the river.

We ate lots of chocolate, ice cream, fish, venison, pork, potato dumplings, and Marcella’s favorite croquettes.

Although Marcella wasn’t ready to come home, I was. Being away from home for almost three weeks was a bit long for me.

No comments: