Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Krazy Koreans

Okay, I've been here for 5 days now. I'm starting to get fed up with the food. Today in class there was something quite funny. My friend, Prabhakar, and I are teaching a class of Koreans. There are a couple of people from the Philippines. We are teaching them about groundwater modeling and bioremediation topics. We are now on the afternoon of the 3rd day and Prabhakar says to the class, "Raise you hand if you do hydrology work". No one raises their hand. Then he says, "Raise your hand if you do groundwater work". Of the class, only 1 or 2 people raised their hand (to either question). He asked again, and then again, and then again. Finally, after about the 5th time, about 1/3 of the class were raising their hand. Clement then asked "If you don't do hydrology OR groundwater work, why are you here"? I was in the back of the class laughing my head off (ROTFLMHO). My guess is that most of these people REALLY have no idea what we are saying MOST of the time. Too funny. Maybe it won't be funny to you but it was really funny to me. Before continuing on to the next lecture, Prabhakar commented, "Man, I want your job. You apparently don't do anything".

On a side note, I know what they DO do. Our host, Dr. Kang-Kun Lee, is always in meetings. Most nights he has meetings that last until 9:30, 10:00, or even 11:00 at night. Can you imagine Americans going to work meetings at night AFTER work. Not.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

That is hilarious! I would have been right there rolling on the floor laughing. I've been in that situation before and it can be quite frustrating.