Thursday, October 07, 2004

Surfin' in San Diego

Well, my travels took me back to a place that I was with my family just a couple of months ago. One of my favorite beaches, Pacific Beach. I'm here teaching a class this week. Most everyone is from the States, with one guy from Denmark and three people from mainland China.

On Monday, I was able to spend the afternoon in the surf and had a wonderful time. Man I love the beach! Had several fish tacos at Rubios. You just can't get enough of them. My highlight of the day was watching a homeless guy take a piss on the beach not far from a family that was sitting on the sand enjoying the sun and sand. Lots of homeless people here. It is sad and disturbing. I want to take them to a hotel or somewhere where they can take a shower, wash their clothes and eat a good meal. But then I feel overwhelmed because you can't help them all. I go running every morning and they are all over the city, sleeping in all of the cracks and crevices of the buildings. Here I am carrying my laptop (my life) around and their "life" consists of a plastic shopping bag with maybe a comb and a pair of underwear. Actually, I wonder what is in their bag. I wonder what their plan is? What do they think they'll be doing next week? Next year? Ten years from now? Same thing? Wow, I kind of went off on that tangent.

I am running in the morning. As tired as I am, I am still glad that I can pull my lazy ass out of bed and work up a sweat. I'm here for one more day then I head off to the heartland of Mexico.

No comments: