Thursday, May 29, 2008

Just remember them


Growing up, one of our traditions was going to a number of cemeteries on Memorial Day. We did this with all of my cousins, aunts and uncles. I still remember many of the years and when I was a teenager I decided that when I was older and had children of mine own, I would continue to visit the graves of my ancestors. There are many places we could visit but for now we go to 3 different cemeteries. At the Provo Cemetery. we first visit the graves of Jack and Phylis Pierce. These are my grandparents on my mother's side. Next to them is Arnold (Grandma's brother who was killed in WWI), and Richard (my mother's brother who was drowned in a ditch when he was 2). Next we head on over to the other side of the cemetery to where Grandpa Orvil Davis (my father's father). Beside him is Gregory (my father's younger brother who was hit by a car when he was 2).

Then we head over to the Orem City Cemetery to pay respects to my dear friend, John Savio. I miss him.

This year we added a new place, the Lindon City Cemetery. This is where Matthew Pritt is buried. He is the sweet 5 year boy that suddenly left us a couple of months ago.

I made my kids promise me to always come and pay their respects to me after I am gone. I think it is really important and carrying on these traditions is an important part of parenting.

No comments: